Thursday, February 19, 2009

A lack of garbage?

A few weeks ago DH took the garbage out, noticed that we did not have enough garbage (a full black garbage bag) to take out for the two week period. He was quite happy with this, and thought that I should write about it.

Yes, it was good that after a two week period that we had not accumulated a full bag of garbage; however, wouldn't it be great to have NO garbage at all? Well, let us celebrate in our efforts and improvements thus far while making it a long term goal to create less trash. Presently, we bag on average about one black bag of garbage per month. Most of the substantial waste comes from disposable diapers (yes, unfortunately we do use disposables when we know we're out for a long time or for overnight for Little S now) then the stuff that we can't recycle or compost like plastic wrapping. I have been delighted to learn that grocery stores will take back plastic bags for recycling. So underneath my kitchen sink I have a place for the garbage, the recycling and a plastic bags for recycling. Now, I'm not sure if this program recycles all plastic bags or if it's certain types of plastic bags. I've been trying to find out. I'll let you know more when I find out.

Most of our "waste" leaves us through the green bin program. We've managed to cut down on recycling as well by requesting no flyers from Canada Post and not buying bottled water. For all our usables, we either give them away to friends and family or donate. By making our meals mostly from scratch I buy less packaging. And of course we use reusable shopping bags.

Little by little we're doing our part to make less garbage, but we certain don't have a lack of it.

1 comment:

Welcome to my web log

Here, I intend to write about topics that include raising children, health, food, vegan living, gardening, the environment, and life in general. I'll be sharing recipes, stories, information that I've read, and questions. Please feel free to leave comments.