Thursday, February 19, 2009

A healthy and happy way to live

Yes, it's been about a month since my last entry. Well, since my last entry we've been sick (not all at once, but then all at once, then one by one we got better). I also managed to attend a holistic nutrition seminar at the public library while I was sick. I had been looking forward to it for over a month since registering for it, so I was glad that I was still able to attend despite my stuffy nose and general unwellness.

The presenter, Russ Beverley, tried to provide the attendees with the most basic information on how to live a healthy and happy life without drugs, surgery or excess exercise. It was all common sense, but nowadays sometimes people seem to be a little taken away from their common sense. In a nutshell, he said that in order to live a happy and healthy life, one should be balanced: sleep by 22h30, get up by 06h30, be hydrated, have positive thoughts, eat right (high quality organic whole foods) and move (moderate and appropriate exercise). So, I have been trying to sleep by 11PM every night and getting up by 7AM.

The same night of the seminar, I also took out a book, that I had on hold for a while, called The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It claims to be the most comprehensive study on nutrition ever published. Because it was on hold for someone after me, I have spent most of my "free" time reading it and trying to extract the important message from the book: eating a plant based, whole food diet can prevent or even reverse illnesses. What illnesses? Diseases of the heart, cancers, autoimmune diseases, obesity... see this link for more information: http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html. I quite appreciated the voice of Dr. Colin in this book. He outlined and explained in language that I could understand some fascinating research. Please read the book if you get the chance. The information could be life-saving!

Well, it seems to be my bed time now. Until next time, think positively, eat right and drink plenty of water ;) ...

1 comment:

Welcome to my web log

Here, I intend to write about topics that include raising children, health, food, vegan living, gardening, the environment, and life in general. I'll be sharing recipes, stories, information that I've read, and questions. Please feel free to leave comments.