Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Final Return of the Mandoline

Yes, we have finally returned the mandoline! After DH's failed attempt, about a week and a half ago, to julienne potatoes with the mandoline, I sent an email to Stoke's customer service that we were going to really return the item for store credit. Today, the mandoline is finally out of our house. I don't know what exactly will happen to it from this point forward, but I did ask in my email if they would be able to recycle the mandoline since it was mostly of stainless steel. No response so far.

After returning the mandoline, we decided to go eat in the food court. I think this is about the 3rd time I forgot to bring eating utensils with me for eating out. Well, I had packed away a pair of bamboo chopsticks with me in a bag, but because I don't eat out often (this being the third time - and it has had to do with either buying or returning a mandoline), I didn't know where the pair of chopsticks were anymore. So, unfortunately by the end of our meal we had to throw out two styrofoam plates, a pair of wood chopsticks, its paper wrapper, a foam cup with a straw, two plastic forks and two plastic spoons. This is what happens when I don't plan on eating out and then happen to eat out.

How can we reduce the waste in food courts? Well, I've seen at the One of A Kind Show at Christmas merchants using compostable utensils, plates and bowls. As well, there were also waste stations with three comparments: organics (for compost), recyclables and waste. I know that we live in a fast fast pace society, but I think that with some small steps we can reduce waste. Little things that we can do are to bring a reusable drink/coffee cup to the café (in the latest newsletter my diaper service advised that Tim Horton's gave a 10 cent discount when you bring in your own reusable cup), bring our own utensils and damp cloth napkin (instead of a paper one). In fact, even if we did use paper napkins (just enough of them, no more), they could be composted afterward.

Well, with the mandoline returned, I hope this means I won't have to eat from that food court any time soon. The next time I go back to the kitchen store it will be to look for a good knife sharpener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my web log

Here, I intend to write about topics that include raising children, health, food, vegan living, gardening, the environment, and life in general. I'll be sharing recipes, stories, information that I've read, and questions. Please feel free to leave comments.