Sunday, November 16, 2008

The blog begins...

Welcome! Thank you for viewing my first web log. I hope everyone is well.

Since becoming a mother of two, I have found it increasingly important to me to set an example to love our Earth. I want my children to grow up healthy, informed, intelligent and caring. Through this blog, I hope to share with you part of our journey toward living a "green" life-style. These are my stories and experiences as domestic green mother. Please feel free to post a response; I would appreciate your thoughts.

Before starting this blog, I thought about sending out a group email announcing my intentions on going "vegan" and "organic," but that never materialised. The content of the email was growing too big for my head; I had to diarise it to make it more manageable.

After staying in the house for over 24 hours (it rained all day yesterday), we (DH and I) opted to drive to Pickering Town Centre to walk around in the mall with the children. I drove, making sure to stay within (close to) the speed limit so that we would not waste fuel, and avoiding suddening braking. We made it into the parking lot, and I started to look for a space to park. For some unknown reason I wanted to park on the other side of the mall, but DH pointed out that there was a free spot within sight. Then it occurred to me that I really should park in the first place available so that I wouldn't waste time nor fuel. Done. We were parked and ready to shop.

As we walked through Zellers, I saw displays of Christmas "gifts" packaged and ready to be purchased, gifted then tossed (at least the packaging). More and more, excess packaging really bothers me. So, I have made a conscious decision to avoid purchasing products with unrecyclable or non-biodegradable packaging. This isn't easy. Have you seen how much packaging toothbrushes and small sippycup valves have?!

We made our way to the food court. DH wanted a falafel sandwich, and wanted me to order for him while he would sit at a table with the kids. As I stood at in front of the counter, I was greeted by the white plastic utensils that would be tossed after one meal (next time I would make sure to have some sporks in our diaper bag - we'll see if I remember). The guys served me a small plate of salads and rice stuffed in vine leaves, a small plate of potatoes with some white garlic sauce on top, and a falafel sandwich for DH. I took one plastic fork for my plate and for feeding R the potatoes. I managed to keep a couple of unused napkins, but the fork, plate and sandwich wrap had to be tossed. It would be great if restaurents started using sustainable packaging (such as from Octopus Packaging Ltd), then the mall people could divert tonnes of waste from landfill.

I haven't written in a long time; I'm very tired and must go to bed, so I shall summarise: we had a nice Sunday together, walking around, eating, preparing food and now sleeping 8:o)

Next time I'll let you know about the new PC Green products we're using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my web log

Here, I intend to write about topics that include raising children, health, food, vegan living, gardening, the environment, and life in general. I'll be sharing recipes, stories, information that I've read, and questions. Please feel free to leave comments.